St. Modan’s, Church of Scotland, Rosneath
Travelling eastwards from the west coast as a missionary around the 6th Century A.D., St. Modan founded a church at Rosneath, and later died there.
In the 12th century its church, St Modan's, was a free parsonage, under the patronage of the Earl of Lennox; but, in 1225, it was given, with its pertinents, in perpetual alms to the monks of Paisley; and it continued to be maintained by them as a curacy till the Reformation.
In 1880, a finely carved stone was dug up from the grounds of the present church. From its style, it has been dated to c.800 A.D. and is thought by some to represent the tombstone of St. Modan. It is preserved inside the church.
The present church building celebrated its centenary in 1953 when it was re-dedicated as St. Modan's parish Church. It has many interesting features. In the grounds are the ruins of the previous church (1780), and the only known grave in Scotland of an African slave, Robert Story. Story came to Scotland as a freed slave, and became the servant of the then minister, taking his name as a mark of respect.
Services: Sunday 11.30am
Contact: Rev Richard West