The Rosneath area has been settled from at least 600 A.D. onwards, when St. Modan, a travelling missionary, founded a church there. The name Rosneath may have its roots in this era; it is derived from the Gaelic Rossnachoich, meaning "Virgin's Headland." Another account indicates that it may come from Ross-neoth, or unwooded headland. The name has historically been mis-spelled as Roseneath (notably in both the First and New (or Second) Statistical Accounts of Scotland). A more visible example is Roseneath Street in Greenock which overlooks the village and dates from around 1900.
Later, the area was heavily fortified, with Rosneath's own castling joining those of nearby Faslane and Shandon (located at Faslane and Shandon), all of which are long since gone. Rosneath village did not yet fully exist by this time; instead, Rosneath parish was home to many free-standing dwellings, the occupants of which were for the vast bulk of the area's history employed in agriculture and fishing. Frequent shipping services to Glasgow, Greenock and beyond were vital for the local economy until recently.
From 1941 to 1945, Rosneath was home to an important naval base, thanks to its location in the well-sheltered natural harbour of the Gare Loch. The Americans used Rosneath Castle as a base of operations. The castle was later demolished in 1963.
1.© Phil Williams http://www.yourlocalweb.co.uk/argyll-and-bute/stroul/pictures/
2.© William Craig http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/64997
3.© William Craig http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/338798